+44 (0)1392 248567 info@carbongc.com

Commercial Energy Performance Certificates

If you want to sell or lease a commercial property you will require a valid Energy Performance Certificate.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

When a newly constructed commercial building is physically complete, it is the responsibility of the person carrying out the construction to issue an EPC and a Recommendation Report to the building owner and to notify Building Control.

Building Control will not issue a certificate of completion until they are satisfied this has been done.

The Energy Performance Certificate remains valid for 10 years or until there are alterations or additions to the property and it is re-marketed.

When do I need an EPC?

An EPC is needed when construction work is finished and / or if you intend to rent or sell the premises.  An EPC is needed for the building as a whole but if that building is split into parts that are used separately with separate heating systems then an EPC will be required for each area as well as for any communal parts. The EPC must be provided to the prospective tenant / buyer at the earliest opportunity – when a viewing is conducted or when written details of the property are passed on.

What happens if my development doesn’t have one?

Fines of between £500 and £5000 can be issued (based on the rateable value of the building) if you do not make an EPC available to a prospective buyer or tenant.

What we can do to help….

Our assessors, having completed thousands of EPCs across the UK ,  offer their experience and professional approach to all new projects.

Call us or email us details so we can you give guidance and advice. we’ll take  a look at your plans or travel to your premises when you require it.

Ready to talk?

If you'd like to talk to us about your project, do get in touch.